Monday, January 23, 2012

How Writing Has Affected Me




            Writing has just started affecting my life recently. Previous to the past few months, I have always thought of writing as boring. It was just something I had to do for classes in order to get the grades I desired. Lately, I have been having a very hard time coping with some things going on in my life. Writing has really been a comfort to me during this time. Whenever I start feeling weak or upset, I put my thoughts on paper. Last month I lost someone very close to me and when that happened, I started building up a wall and pushing every one else in my life away as fast as I could. Then, when I discovered writing and how soothing it can be, I slowly started becoming myself again. When I write my thoughts down, I write them to the person that I lost. It not only helps me get my feelings out instead of bottling them up, but it allows me to communicate with that person, who was my rock, in the only way possible. The letters that I write really give me something to hold on to and they get me through every day. I never thought something as simple as words on paper would mean so much, but at the end of the night, when I am putting that pencil on the paper, those words mean everything. Through this experience I have learned that all writing is a way for humans to express themselves, even if it is an essay on a topic that may not mean that much to us. We still have to look deep inside ourselves in order to understand a subject. Then when writing our papers we have to allow ourselves to bring our own meaning into the equation and write something with enough substance to back up how we feel and why we feel that way. Words can change everything. They can make someone feel better in a card or a letter. They can devastate someone in an instant through an obituary. And I believe that a lot of people in this world do not understand how powerful words on paper can be and how they can change someone’s life for the better or for the worst.  

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, what a beautiful pot! I'm so glad that you have found writing to be so helpful and such an effective coping mechanism. And you are completely correct about bringing yourself into your writing, even paper's for class. Thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete